Most common type of rabbits that are found everywhere are eastern cotton tail. They are named “cotton tail” because of its tail which is covered in cotton. We can call them ubiquitous animals which means they are everywhere. From South America to Canada, in US, Green Plains, and in East Cost. Mostly found in brown and grey color.
|Scientific Name||Sylvilagus Floridanus|
|Lifespan||3 years in wild|
|Weight||28 to 55 kg|
|Gestation period||27 days|
Now, let’s see every aspect related to cottontail rabbit. we will share its attributes related to its life, reproduction, their behavior, color and many things.
Eastern Cottontail Physical Features
Just like other breeds of rabbits, it has its own characteristics and attributes.
- Its body is covered with fur, which is shorter and is brown, grey or red in color.
- You will see fur around the nose and neck area.
- Its eyes are bigger and tail incredibly is white in color.
- When the winter season comes, its fur becomes white in color instead of grey.
- Other species that come under this category are known as “new England Cottontail.”
- Scientific name used for England rabbits is Sylvilagus transitionalis.
- New England cottontail is usually smaller in size and has black patch between its ears.
- These two species of rabbits are found in New Hampshire.
Habitat of Eastern Cottontail
Usually they love to stay in the meadows or in open areas. They adapt themselves according to their surroundings even in the human habitats. But, if you had a wish to see them, head towards large green open lands, busy areas, swamps, and woody lands.
Eastern Cottontail Diet
Major part of the rabbit’s diet consists of hay and grass. Moreover, rabbits are herbivores in nature. In addition to grass and hay, they also love to eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
If you have adopted them as pets, make sure the availability of fresh water all the time. In winters, rabbits eat woody parts of the plants such as twigs, and bark of dogwood and maple trees.
Eastern Cottontail Temperament and Behavior
Its behavior is quite strange or you can say they are different from others. Cotton tail rabbits don’t like some company because of its solitary and nocturnal nature. Usually, it comes out during day but mostly in the night. It takes good care of its territory and makes sure that no one comes around.
Sometimes to stay away from predators it has the ability to stand on its hind leg, and watch predators like eagles, hawks etc. it runs at a speed of 15 miles an hour.
Eastern Cottontail Range
As the name shows clearly the word Eastern in it, which is because of the reason that they are mostly found in Eastern parts like in Eastern America. Also, they are found in Eastern US, Mexico, and Arizona.
Eastern Cottontail Reproduction
Eastern cottontail usually mates during February and September. Males fight with one another. Their mating behavior is interesting. Both male and female perform dance. Male rabbit thus chases the female.
After mating female gives birth after a month. It gives birth to approximately nine babies. Mother feed their young ones twice a day. Female is ready to mate after giving birth to their young ones. Eastern rabbits can mate when they are three months old.
Eastern Cottontail Facts
There are some few fun facts we have found of this cottontail rabbit. let’s have a look on them;
- They are productive breeders. On average they can litter for 3-4 times in a year, with 3-9 young ones. Female just after giving is ready to mate.
- Female make the nest by digging holes, and cover it up with leaves, grass, and with the hair of its chest. Nests are made in a way that nobody is able to see them.
- They have solitary nature.
- It has the ability to stand on its hind leg.
- Its rabbits are not called as bunnies. They are named as kit.
- Adult females are known as doe.
- Male are known as buck.
Eastern cottontail adaptations
Their seeing and hearing abilities are very good. They can sense their predator from a long distance by standing on hind leg. Sometimes when they see enemy they try to act like they are freezing, it shows others like they are dead.
Can Eastern cottontails be domesticated?
No, they are wild animals and you can’t captivate them. If you are thinking of adopting them as pets so you are making a bad idea because they don’t like to stay with humans or as pets. Go for other species of rabbits those that are good to kept as pets.
How long do eastern cottontail rabbits live?
They have average lifespan of about 15 months. In the wild they do not survive for more than 2 years. According to researches there are only few of the rabbit species that can hardly live for more than 3 years.
Where does the Eastern cottontail rabbit live?
Name is clearly defining that from they belong. In the Eastern areas of America, Canada, Arizona, and Mexico. There is a wide variety of rabbits found in Eastern Cottontail rabbits. Some have brown color, some have grey and some are reddish brown in color.
Here at zoological world you can see different animals whose knowledge are being shared with you guys. If you are searching for your pet’s lifespan, temperament, its food etc. you will find every little information here. Go to thezoologicalworld.com for further information.