Best dog training books
Well we all love pets particularly dogs because they are so faithful and you can have so much fun with them. But you know, there are several types of dogs with different training needs, so how do we train them. Of course there are multiple options out there from physical collars to training fences. But there are several other tips and tricks which you must have to learn to train your dogs. For that there are several dog training books with which you can make your dog learn several acts and make them behave.
Now there are several dog training books but we have listed the best ones. Ones which are comprehensive and are easily understandable. Not only understandable but the tips and tricks actually worked for several people.
So following is the list of best dog training books which you can find online. All of these have the best reviews and the tips mentioned in them actually work.
10 Best dog training books
Zak George's Dog Training Revolution
Lucky Dog Lessons: Train Your Dog in 7 Days
The Big Book of Tricks for the Best Dog Ever
The Art of Raising a Puppy
Dog Training for Kids
The Puppy Primer
How to Raise the Perfect Dog
Training Your German Shepherd Dog
Zak George's Guide to a Well-Behaved Dog
Puppy Training in 7 Easy Steps
1. Lucky Dog Lessons: Train Your Dog in 7 Days
This dog training book is by Brandon Mcmillan, he is a celebrity dog trainer and also an Emmy-winning star of the famous CBS show “Lucky Dog”. In this book he shares his training system to transform any dog, any breed and any type. Either it is from spoiled purebred puppy to the dogs of shelter-shocked rescue into a loyal and faithful pet in just seven days.
|Print Length||336 pages|
|Publication Date||October 2, 2018|
|Dimensions||5.31 x 0.84 x 8 inches|
- In each week of this book Mcmillan trains an unwanted and a very stubborn dog from his miraculous transformation. He teaches them 7 commands and in this way they overcome their problems.
- Now the knowledge he has gained from his experience, he has written this book, so that the readers are capable of teaching their pets the same.
- The book features basic lessons about gaining trust, developing focus, and becoming the wizard of dog training techniques.
- The seven commands for which this book is famous is sit, stay, down, come, off, heel, and, no.
Pros Cons This book is beneficial for training your dog about basic behavior problems, canine problems, and house training issues. The steps in the book require some sort of equipment mostly. In addition to this it also trains your dog about door dashing, barking, chewing, and common mealtime behaviors. Hardcover of the book is a bit expensive. This book has very easy to simple steps, comprehensive examples, tips and tricks, and much more. This book even mentions the solutions for most difficult and challenging canine fellows.
This book is beneficial for training your dog about basic behavior problems, canine problems, and house training issues.
The steps in the book require some sort of equipment mostly.
In addition to this it also trains your dog about door dashing, barking, chewing, and common mealtime behaviors.
Hardcover of the book is a bit expensive.
This book has very easy to simple steps, comprehensive examples, tips and tricks, and much more.
This book even mentions the solutions for most difficult and challenging canine fellows.
2. The Big Book of Tricks for the Best Dog Ever
This book contains hundreds of step-by-step pictures which will help you to train your dog easily. Thsi boom features 118 tricks and stunts which you can teach to your dog pet. The book is organized from basic to simple and then to pro level with which you will be capable of teaching your dog to behave well.
|Print Length||320 pages|
|Publication Date||March 19, 2019
|Dimensions||7 x 0.75 x 9 inches|
- This book will help you to explore more about our dog’s real personality, including hidden talents.
- It has a full explanation and illustration of 100 step-by-steps pictures to train your dog with multiple tricks and acts.
- You can teach them simple things like fetch, paw shake, roll over and complex stunts like dance routines to flying disc acrobatics.
- The book will also aid to improve your pet’s behavior, by reinforce socialization, eliminating boredom, anxiety, and will assure your pet with greater confidence.
Easy- explanation with step-by step pictures for maximum understanding.
The book has tricks for medium to large dogs, and does not feature training for small dogs.
The book is organized from basic to pro level so that you can decide to which extent you want to train your dog.
The book can be more detailed even with all the pictures.
It will reinforce positive behaviors in your dog and will make it behave even in the worst condition.
It will enhance the bond that you share with your pet already.
3. The Art of Raising a Puppy
This is the classic bestseller which was successful in establishing the Monks of New Skete as America’s most certain and powerful trust authorities on dog training, canine behavior, and the animal/human bond. To include the latest developments in canine health, the book also has new updates.
|Print Length||320 pages|
|Publisher||Little, Brown and Company|
|Publication Date||June 29, 2011|
|Dimensions||6.33 x 1.25 x 9.75 inches|
- In “The Art of Raising a Puppy”, the Monks draw attention to their experience as life-time breeders of German shepherds and also as trainers and behaviorists of dogs of all breeds.
- The book brilliantly explains the indispensable tips and tricks and advice that every dog owner needs.
- This new edition of The Art of Raising a Puppy features brand new photographs completely, and also the updated chapters on play about canine development.
- It sheds a light on creating opportunities about adopting dogs from shelters and rescue organizations, and so they can be raised in an urban environment, and the latest updates in canine behavioral theory.
It is an excellent updated book for the real-time problems of dogs and their health, so that you are capable of training them while maintaining their health.
It focuses on the dogs as wolf-packs while every breed does nor behave in that certain way.
As the company owners have been breeding dogs themselves so they have put a lot of their experience in the book which actually works.
There is no potty training included in the book.
It also has updated chapters on canine theory and its development.
It is phenomenal to train German Shepherds.
4. Dog Training for Kids
Every child wants a dog, yet not every child or even adults are not equipped to take on the responsibilities that come with a pet dog. But with the help of Vanessa Estrada Marin, the director of a sought-after dog-training program for kids, your children will have fun being in charge while training your dog at the same time.
|Print Length||176 pages|
|Reading age||8-12 years|
|Publication Date||November 26, 2019|
|Dimensions||8.01 x 0.51 x 10.07 inches|
- “Dog Training for Kids” breaks down all lessons and tutorials in simple steps and step-by-step instructions. Children will have everything they need to become responsible owners while having fun.
- The basic Training Lessons includes Stopping Uncontrollable Barking, Potty & House Training, Obedience to commands, Leash Training, and Crate Training.
- The book features the essential commands including Sit, Stay, Drop It, and Heel
- Children will be able to teach clever tricks to their pets including Roll Over, Speak, High Five, and Leap.
There are some super fun games in this book both for the pet and the owner like Obstacle Course, Frisbee, Tunnel.
Some people think that the contents of the book are not organized and the physical-form is not good enough.
Most of the topics are covered in this book including The Must Have Equipment List, How to Train Your Dog to Be Calm at the Vet, and How to Dog Proof Your Home.
People say that the contents of these books are very classical and traditional and there are no new approaches.
Whether the children are raising puppies, adopting rescues, or getting their first pet dogs, this all-in-one book for each of them.
It will provide them confidence with proper knowledge to train, and they can develop a long-lasting bond with their best friends.
5. The Puppy Primer
It is an engaging, humorous and extremely easy to follow book, the updated Puppy Primer is enriched with tips and tricks reinforcing positive improvements, special topics and more. This is the updated and expanded version of our best-selling Puppy Primer. It is used by tons of trainers across the U.S. Beginners love it because it provides clear and brief knowledge that makes training effective and not boring.
It has an upbeat and encouraging tone, and it has all the information that every puppy owner needs.
|Print Length||117 pages|
|Publication Date||February 23, 2010|
|Dimensions||6.9 x 0.31 x 10.6 inches|
- The book features new information about the benefits of positive reinforcement and the importance of natural expectations from your pet.
- The book highlights very important topics about training your dog like Socialization, Positive Reinforcement, Crate Training, Handling/Collar Touch, House Training, House Training, How to Stop Unwanted Behavior, Helping Puppies Conquer Their Fears,and How Play Teaches Obedience and Emotional Control.
- There are a lot of topics on potty training and adolescence as well.
- The book features several exercises like Sit, Down, Stand, Come, No Jumping Up, Walking Side by Side, Games like Fetch, Find things and much more.
This book is excellent, super easy to read, broken down very easily, very easy to go back, and revisit topics. By using both the table of contents and also the layout of the chapters is very easy for browsing to find topics.
For some people the book can be too basic and they might need more.
The book is an easy read, and doesn't bog you down with science jargon despite the author being an animal behaviorist.
It includes all tips and tricks from basic to pro level.
It is perfect for the new dog owners.
6. How to Raise the Perfect Dog
This book is from the bestselling author and the star of National Geographic Channel, therefore he is the only resource you’ll need for raising a happy, and healthy dog. For the millions of people every year who always think about bringing a puppy into their home or those who have already have one, Cesar Millan, the preeminent dog behavior expert, says, “Yes, you can raise the perfect dog!” It all begins with the right foundation in the Initial years.
|Print Length||117 pages|
|Publication Date||February 23, 2010|
|Dimensions||6.9 x 0.31 x 10.6 inches|
- It is based on Cesar’s own comprehensive experiences on how he raised his individual puppies from some of the most popular breeds.
- The book “How to Raise the Perfect Dog” is like having the author right beside you, as your own personal expert, and coach who will help you and your dog from the first day of your life together.
- It is equipped with new knowledge aimed specifically at the particular requirements of puppies and adult dogs, and above all it is written as Cesar’s friendly, accessible style.
- The book covers several essential topics like what to expect from each stage of your puppy’s development, quick and easy housebreaking, the essentials of proper nutrition, the importance of vaccinating,and of not over-vaccinating, creating perfect obedience through rules, limitations, and much more.
It covers all the topics from basic to complex ones which makes it perfect for both beginners and trainers.
It's not an itemized instruction book rather it is a collection of Caesar's experience.
It is very comprehensive and has a unique structure so everything falls in place while reading it.
It teaches you several acts and tricks with which you can have fun and can train your dog at the same time.
It is not so expensive as well.
7. Training Your German Shepherd Dog
It is an award winning book of 2018 winner of the Dog Writers Association of America (DWAA) award for best book on training and sports. This book is all about German Shepherds, discover the best training methods for your German Shepherd in this book.
|Print Length||176 pages|
|Publication Date||February 1, 2018|
|Dimensions||6.5 x 0.5 x 8 inches|
- The book,Training Your Dog series offers breed-specific knowledge on virtually every feature of canine training, including housetraining, obedience to basic verbal commands and signals by hands, and walking with a leash.
- This book also covers all the humane methods of breaking a dog’s bad habits.
- The German Shepherd is intelligent and a quick learner, which makes him highly trainable. However, you should begin training early in life.
- It says German Shepherds are ideal to those owners who can be polite, have optimistic leadership and consistent training methods.
The book is ideal for German Shepherds because this book is entirely dedicated to them.
For some, the book may not be ideal for beginners.
It helps to train your dog from the beginning with the right methods and techniques.
It is quite expensive
It has the adequate knowledge not only to train the dog but also make them learn fun techniques.
It is ideal for both complex and simple training.
8. Zak George’s Guide to a Well-Behaved Dog
It is an optimistic, liberal, and has a scientific approach to help you and your dog. It is ideal for dogs having common training problems. Zak George being a trainer takes his dedication to kind and effective dog training methods from the screen to the written page.
- In this problem-based guide, Zark George makes it easy to solve the problematic behavioral issue that you’re struggling with either a new dog or an old one.
- The book also helps you to prevent many of these problematic behaviors from developing in the first place.
- The book is equipped with a lot of case studies and examples from Zak’s videos, which you can see, where he and his dog puppy training tactics are in action.
This book includes detailed instructions for dealing with Chewing, Jumping up, Barking, Play biting, Begging Not listening, Thunderstorm phobia, Separation anxiety, and Aggression.
The book has its foundation on philosophical approach.
This book is best for both simple or complex training.
The kindle version of the book is very expensive.
It is written by Zak George himself so it is very promising.
It covers all the essential concepts which one needs to learn for training.
9. Puppy Training in 7 Easy Steps
With this book you can teach your puppy the ropes with Puppy Training in 7 Easy Steps. This detailed guide helps you to collaborate positive reinforcement with your dog’s natural instincts during the training process. The pets will learn essential manners and limits while both of you can develop bonds and can enjoy them too.
|Print Length||178 pages|
|Publication Date||April 2, 2019|
|Dimensions||6 x 0.49 x 9 inches|
- With this book you can discover dog training basics, and start implementing techniques that build up your puppy’s skills in stages slowly.
- This book will help you to gain a solid notion of your puppy’s perception, behavior, and body language.
- Get guidance with this book for bringing your puppy home, crate and potty training. Learn to make him prevent food aggression, socializing, learning key commands, and leash walking.
- You will learn how to see each dog training step from your puppy’s viewpoint and get instant advice in case things don’t go according to your thoughts.
This book covers all the necessary things you need to cover for your dog’s training.
It may not have full coverage for training of large dogs.
It has not only guidance but step-by-step pictures for complete elaboration.
The book may be expensive for some.
Ideal for small dogs particularly puppies.
You and your puppy will learn all the basics with this portable guide that makes dog training easy and fast.