Table of Contents
Cats are really cute creatures, don’t they? But the thing is their innate behavior or genetics do not tell them that to travel is their thing or not. This instinct can vary from cat to cat. Some enjoy it a lot and others just act like that they are packed in a sort of some torture cell. First thing first you have to read your cat like a book and to observe their traits will help you to understand their personality a lot.
Traveling with your cat by a car or a plane:
- I recommend you to take your kitten or cat on some test drives before taking them to a very long road trip. This will help your cat to get used to it. And the more you take your cat to rides it will eventually get used to it.
- Always ask your vet first if your cat is healthy enough to be taken with you on a road trip.
- You have to make the environment of the car comfortable according to their nature. The cat should feel secure in the setting. You can also set a cat holder in which your cat can make herself comfortable.
- Make sure to seal your cat with a seat belt for maximum security.
- If it is a short trip your cat will feel comfortable in the cat holder and maybe won’t like to move much but if it’s a longer trip like for many days then you have to consider taking out your cat at intervals for food and pee.
- Always take out your cat when you have parked the car. If u let your pet roam around in the car while you are driving then expect an accident on hand.
- Maybe it can happen if you leave your cat to pee it can get lost somewhere and then you have to find them so always make your cat wear an id cart sort of with the cat name your address and phone number so that when someone finds the cat can contact you.
- Microchips are better options but they will only work if someone takes your cat to the vet or any Stray cat Centre.
- When you are traveling in a car you can’t litter box with you so it is suggested to take such litter boxes with you which you can dump of easily later and your cant won’t pee in the car as well.
- Always be ready with a backup plan or keep extra medicines and food with you.
- You don’t want any mishap when you successfully traveled with your cat and the hotel owner does not allow cats. Therefore, check-in those hotels only which allow pets.
- Prior to going to the drive make your cat comfortable by playing with it and give her food and water and medicine too if it is recommended by your vet.
10 things about traveling your cat
See there is a difference between a cat and a dog. Dogs may enjoy road trips even more than a human. But there is a different case with a cat. They feel really scary, frustrated and hiss in their carriers. Therefore, to take important things with you is very necessary and you have to be completely acknowledged by the facts of traveling with a cat.
Don’t make sudden plans with your kitten. You have to plan well even before packing what to take with and what not to, what is essential and what is not. This will reduce many hectic problems which you can rather face on an unplanned trip.
Never ever forget to take your cat holder with you instead of leaving just freely the cat in the car is dangerous. At any time cat can get panic and can get scared so there are fair chances of getting bitten and to be scratched and may even an accident if you are driving. Read complete article that is how to pick up a cat
Rest is necessary:
Don’t forget to bring a leash or a harness or set of straps so that your cat can rest for some time outside of the car and can pee too.
Most of the cats like to play with a knitting ball or things like that like a yoyo. So whatever your cats love bring that with you among your other stash. So that your cat remains peaceful and have a feeling of being home with her favorite thing.
If you don’t know cats secrete such hormones that they leave on a specific place and remember that place and feel more comfortable there. There are such collars and sprays available in the market which you can use to make your cat feel more comfortable.
Disposable food containers:
As you can’t make your cat or the government’s airplane dirty so it is better to take disposable utensils with you
When you give your cat her favorite treats. They will associate traveling with you in a good memory. And they will feel homier whenever you take them with you for traveling.
The litter box is one of the most essential things you have to remember while packing your stuff. Because your cat cannot just pee anywhere he wants and mind me they don’t tell you either like a baby kid. So the litter box is damn important.
If your cat is ill or just feel anxiety or anything which can affect its health. Keep the backup with you. First aid kit box and the medicine suggested by a vet is essential for a comfortable trip.
A cozy blanket:
Just as a blanket makes you feel more warm and comfortable the trick works for the pet as well. It may sleep as well so you can travel comfortably.
How I taught my cat to love traveling?
Yeah I know it’s insane because we all know cats are not keen on traveling but trust they can mold in any kind of behavior you want them too.
My cat Tommy does not make a hiss even when we travel on the plane. But I trained him a lot it wasn’t always like that. Every success story has a back story as well. Strangers mostly get amazed when they came to know that they were even traveling with a cat. People usually forget that even their first time flight was not a pretty experience so how can they expect the same even for a tongue less animal. Cats can get easily get stressed in heavy traffic or by vets or police sirens. Therefore, for making my cat get used to traveling I first make him learn how to travel on the bus or sort of short things. Because we know practice makes a man or we say a cat perfect. Hence by remaining in the people and becoming familiar with the traveling process, my cat has learned how to tackle his anxiety and pain.
Question and answers
How to travel with a cat on a train?
First, make sure from your vet that your cat is the age to travel. It is advised to keep the cat in the carrier. The carrier can be taken with an can be placed easily anywhere.
How to travel with a cat in the car?
Traveling in a car with a cat is easy if you take your cat in a cat holder and take its necessary things like meds, first aid kit food, water and litter box with you.
How to travel with a cat on a plane?
First, confirm which airlines allow pets. Cats can be place in the cabin area in the cat holder. But the airline may charge you a bit.
How to travel with a cat across the country?
Talk to your vet if your cat’s condition is stable enough and make your cat prepared to long travel by making it used to with shorter trips first.
How to travel with a cat on a bus?
Some buses only allow pets registered to some authority therefore, you have to check on the bus which you are raveling accommodates the cat or not? Second, you can put your cat in the cat holder beneath your seat that’s the safest.
How to travel with a cat long distance?
Make your cat comfortable with the short trips first. Praise them and give them treats so that they can a good memory of traveling.
How to travel with a cat in a long flight?
You can use pheromones or calming collars to make them ease and peaceful. You can also place them in a cat holder with the calming collar on so they may sleep.
How to travel with a cat having anxiety?
First, ask your vet if the cat can travel or not. You have to take its meds as well with you for the comfortable journey and you can use gentle sprays too which calms the kitty down.
How to travel the world with a cat?
Make them comfortable with the shorter trips and only then they can get comfortable the longer or the trips like a world tour.
How to travel with a cat without a carrier?
You can use your travel bag as well if the traditional carrier is not available. Or use a leash or straps used to control your cat.